View a virtual tour of our treatment pools –
Both centres have swimming and hydrotherapy pools which can be used to assist rehabilitation programmes or in a leisure capacity.
Both leisure pools at St Andrew’s and Castlebrae measure 15m x 7m. During the week, a number of aqua circuit classes are held in these pools, the remainder of the time the pools can be used as a leisure facility.
To aid an individual’s relaxation, both centres also have located around the pool area, a sauna and steam room facility for patients to use in their spare time. St Andrew’s also benefits from an aromatherapy room.
The benefits provided by the use of these heat room facilities can include;
• Muscle relaxation
• Lowering blood pressure
• Overall detoxification of the body
Saunas use dry heat whereas steam rooms use more moist heat.
The hydrotherapy pools allow treatment to be provided in a warm environment which improves soft tissue elasticity while the buoyancy of the water reduces the effects of gravity. This eases the stress on joints and can considerably accelerate rehabilitation times.
Some of the main benefits of hydrotherapy include:
• Non weight bearing exercise , reducing stress on joints
• Warm environment improves soft tissue elasticity, increasing range of motion of affected joints.
• Provides relief from pain, swelling and stiffness
• Buoyancy of water reduces effects of gravity
• Muscle strengthening, maintenance and restoration
• Accelerated rehab times
• Improved circulation
• Promotion of relaxation
• Cardiovascular fitness